Wal-Mart Stores Misses
Wal-Mart Stores (WMT) reported 3rd Quarter October 2016 earnings of $0.98 per share on revenue of $118.2 billion. The consensus earnings estimate was $0.96 per share on revenue of $118.5 billion. The Earnings Whisper number was $0.99 per share. Revenue grew 0.7% on a year-over-year basis.
The company said it expects fourth quarter earnings of $1.18 to $1.33 per share. The current consensus earnings estimate is $1.33 per share for the quarter ending January 31, 2017.
Wal-Mart Stores Inc, operates retail stores in various formats under various banners. Its operations comprise of three reportable business segments, Walmart U.S., Walmart International and Sam' Club in three categories retail, wholesale and others.
Walmart reports Q3 FY17 EPS of $0.98, The company now expects full-year GAAP EPS of $4.34 to $4.49, Adjusted full-year EPS of $4.20 to $4.35
“We had a solid third quarter. Our ecommerce
operations in the U.S. continued to
strengthen and international delivered
another solid performance. We are
pleased that we can see real progress
stemming from our strategic choices and
we appreciate the great work by our
associates. Yet, we are not satisfied. We
will continue to change and pick up speed
to reach our longer term aspirations.
We’re positioned well for this important
fourth quarter and wish everyone a
happy, peaceful and prosperous holiday
Doug McMillon, President and CEO, WalMart
- Diluted EPS was $0.98. Currency negatively impacted EPS by
- Total revenue was $118.2 billion, an increase of 0.7%. On a
constant currency basis, total revenue was $120.3 billion, an
increase of 2.5%.
- Walmart U.S. comp sales increased 1.2%, driven by a traffic
increase of 0.7%. Neighborhood Market comp sales increased
- Net sales at Walmart International were $28.4 billion, a
decrease of 4.8%. Excluding currency
1 impacts, net sales were
$30.5 billion, an increase of 2.4%.
- Globally, on a constant currency basis, e-commerce sales and
GMV increased 20.6% and 16.8%, respectively, representing
continued acceleration. Excluding Yihaodian, GMV increased
- Consolidated operating income decreased 10.4%. As expected, investments in people and technology, as well
as currency exchange rate fluctuations negatively impacted results. Excluding last year's lease accounting
benefit of $156 million, operating income decreased 7.9%.
- Year-to-date operating cash flow was $19.6 billion and free cash flow
was $12.2 billion, both approximately
$5 billion higher than last year led by improved working capital management.
- The company returned just under $3 billion to shareholders during the quarter through dividends of $1.5
billion and share repurchases of $1.4 billion.
For the full press release, please go here